Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Day 4: Sprouting Seeds

A few weeks ago, I was trying to think of what I could do to increase our exposure to science in our classroom. I don't have a backyard to take the kids to yet, as our yard is getting landscaped, so besides pinecones and leaves that we sometimes bring in from outside, I was hoping to find something else. I came across this idea on Pinterest, and was eager to try it: sprouting our own seeds. My daughter, Ember, will demonstrate:

Step 1: Spray a paper towel with water. I took this opportunity to explain that not all spray bottles are safe to use, and to never assume that it's safe if they see one. I label my spray bottles, and I showed them how this particular bottle was labeled as "Water." Moisten the paper towel, but it shouldn't be drenched.
 

Step 2: Fold  the paper towel in half, and then fold it again.

"I did it!"



Step 3: Place the paper towel into a quart size ziplock bag. I pre-labeled the bags with the date and their names with a sharpie. It's easier to write on a dry surface, than a wet bumpy one after the kids have handled them. 





Step 4: Pull out your seeds! We used green beans, but probably any type of seed can be used (I would think... I'm not an experienced gardener. I'm learning alongside the kids on this one!). We got these at our local Home Depot.

 

 Step 5: Place a seed inside the bag between the paper towel and the part of the bag facing you. I was afraid the seed would just drop to the bottom, but it actually stayed right where we placed them.


Admiring the little seed inside of the bag.
Step 6: Seal the plastic bag. This is a fantastic fine motor activity. They all were very careful to close it completely.

Step 7: Tape the bag to a window that receives at least a half day's sun. Ours got a lot of indirect sunlight, and it still worked. I used cute washi tape to stick it on... It wasn't very strong, through, so I used another masking tape to reinforce it.


Step 8: Give the kids a chance to draw their seed. I wrote the date and "Day 1" on them. I haven't had them draw every day, since the kids come at different schedules at my child care, but I'll at least do this once a week. They get so excited to watch their seeds sprout and grow!

This is 3 weeks after we started the activity, along with the accompanying drawing for Day 17 for this little sprout.


This has been such a rewarding experience. We've read some books about gardening, which I keep nearby this area. I have a photo posted that my 5 year old brought home from school that labels the different parts of a flower, and the kids have pointed out to me where the roots are, the leaves, and such. My plan is to take these sprouts and plant them in a planter box we have in my front yard, and hopefully continue to watch them grow! I hope that they stay strong. As a child, I could never keep a pet fish alive for more than a few weeks. I'm hoping this will be different. Wish us luck!

P.S. If you have a green thumb and have some gardening tips, please share by commenting below!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment