Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Edible Paint - First Attempt


I love Pinterest. There are sooo many different ideas and fun recipes on there - for just about anything, really. It's been a little over a month now since I began my family child care, and I just had a baby join my program, so off I went to Pinterest to see what fun, baby-safe art recipes I could find. A lot of them (well most of them) tend to be a food, plus a coloring substance (like food coloring, or Kool-Aid). Not all of them seemed like they can be used with a brush, and I thought I'd see if baby (close to a year old), might be interested in using a brush, since that's what the older children in my program would be using.

So here's what I used:
Over the years, I've collected baby food jars. I keep telling my husband that I would use them, so (a few years down the road), I'm proud of myself for pulling these bad boys out. They were washed and sanitized before use.


These were my two ingredients. Condensed milk will paint well on paper (particularly on fingerpainting paper, which is a bit smoother), along with food coloring.

I filled up three baby food jars with the condensed milk. You could always just start with one, but I wanted to give baby the opportunity to see different colors. I put one or two drops of coloring in each jar and stirred.


Baby was in her high chair and I tried putting paper in front of her, but she wanted nothing to do with it, but the brush she loooved! 



After a while, she tried touching the paint, and then some cause and effect learning with the paint brush.





By this point, it had gotten a bit stickier than I had anticipated, so you couldn't really slide it around anymore. I wonder if additional milk or other substance might have helped. Ultimately, I think it would've been great as an edible paint to be used on paper rather than with fingers. Either way, we still enjoyed the learning process and will continue to try some different recipes and share our results.


If you have any recipe requests or recipes to share, be sure to message me at our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/garlandofgrace), or by visiting the Contact Us page at our website at http://adri-333.wix.com/garlandofgrace.

Hope you enjoyed this article!



No comments:

Post a Comment