Friday, June 6, 2014

Thoughtful Transitions

Transitions are all around us, aren't they? Transitioning to a new school, new job, new baby, new car (even if it's used, hey, it's new to us!)... We are always in transition. So, if you're in transition, I can relate! I still remember the rush of things I had to get used to as a new mom a few years ago. I went from having a full time job, a career of my own, to facing budget cuts and lay offs (me!), and awaiting the biggest transition of mine and my husbands' lives at the time, having our baby. Later, I transitioned to going back to school, having a second baby, and getting back into a full-time job... all at the same time! (And don't ask me how many times we moved. Honestly, I think I lost track.) Should I say, chaos? Well, it was a happy chaos that I could live with.



Years later, I now find myself transitioning again, feeling like I'm going back to that square one - my husband and I found ourselves making the choice for me to stay at home and start a family child care and to be able to stay at home with our girls (now 2 and 4). I find myself working to create a routine that works for my family and for the children I'll be caring for. This is challenge #1 for me. I'm routine resistant - I create routine, and then I break it. It's one of those "rules are meant to be broken" for me. However, it's not just about me, and I know that my girls need that predictability in their lives, and so, routine it is! And it's benefiting me, too. I can't remember the last time I consistently had 3 meals (and 2 snacks!) a day - not to mention healthy food and not take out!

My challenge #2 is my environment. I'm used to my environment being ever changing, and this is certainly no different. I was so proud when I set up my environment for my child care - I felt it looked so beautifully staged and inspiring - until I opened the door and my two little beta testers scampered in and immediately began revealing to me the flaws in parts of my design. Bubble officially bursted.  I do realize, though, that a good environment is so crucial to avoiding challenging behavior - whether it be for my girls, or even me (a comfortable, adult-size chair will need to be my first investment for the playroom... one week of sitting in 2 ft. high Dora the Explorer chairs has not done my back much good).
Finally, my challenge #3 is making it fun. Did I mention earlier how I was back at school, working full time, caring for my kids (and occasionally my husband), and trying to make time to volunteer at church (I'm getting dizzy already as I type this out just thinking about it)? I have to admit. I fell into some bad habits. I often felt very rushed, and in my "feeling-rushed-edness," I rushed others. Bedtime routines very much became chores. Dinnertime was a chore. Cleaning was a chore. Even hellos and goodbyes even felt like chores. Some rougher days, anything keeping me from getting some sleep was a chore. I unwittingly sucked the joy out of what could be precious, enjoyable time together. So I'm retracing my steps backwards and seeking that joy I once had. I'm singing songs at handwashing time again. We parachute the blankets when making the bed. My family even tended the lawn together - more like the kids got muddier and muddier as mom and dad weeded and mowed - but I cannot describe how "together" we felt, how accomplished we felt, and what that did to my spirit. The photos featured were from that morning together - we were dusty, sweaty, and happy together. I'm certainly not where I want to be yet, but I feel I'm getting closer.


So what experiences have you had with transitions? Whether it be in your homes, classrooms, work? I hope that you, above all, can keep the joy in it and find a way to instill fun into your lives.

Blessings,

Adriana


P.S. This weekend, I'm doing a training on transitions for fellow early ed teachers in California. I'm excited to share some great resources I found. Something you will learn from me is that I'm a resource hoarder. At least I keep it digital (for the most part). Evernote and Gmail makes it possible for me to never throw anything away again.... Anywho, I thought I'd share below some links to various things I bumped into online. 
Resources for transitions:







"Social Emotional Scripted Story Guide" by the Tenessee Teaching Pyramid Team

No comments:

Post a Comment