Tuesday, July 15, 2014

How Does One Start a Family Child Care?



A while back, I received an email from someone who attended one of my recent trainings. It seemed like a simple enough question. Basically, how does one start a family child care?

Seemed simple enough, until I began responding. One very long email later, I realized that perhaps it might be good information to share! This blog, after all, was intended to follow my journey in starting a family child care home, and some of the things I discover along the way.  So, with that, here was my response (and keep in mind, I'm writing from Fresno, CA, so this may be different for other counties/states):
Hi Anonymous,

I'd be glad to share my experience with starting a family child care home.  It's not a short answer, so I hope you have a few minutes to spare.  [Ok, so maybe more than just a few minutes...]
  1. Before you get started with opening your own family child care home, here are some things to consider:  http://ccld.ca.gov/Res/pdf/WAIT.pdf
  2. Next, get general info about starting a family child care by visiting their website here: http://ccld.ca.gov/PG513.htm
  3. Be sure to find out where your local community care licensing branch is. To find out the phone number and address of your local community care licensing office, go to this link: http://ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/CClistingMaster.pdf
  4. Once you've decided that starting a family child care is for you, you'll start off by attending an orientation. You can now take it in-person or online. I recommend taking it in-person in possible - it's nice to be able to interact with a real person and be able to raise your hand and ask questions. I used to work at my local Resource & Referral agency, so I had had multiple opportunities to sit through this orientation before, so I chose to take it online. I had some minor complications logging on, but once it worked, it was very convenient to take it at my own pace in the comfort of my own home and be able to replay parts I didn't totally understand the first time. Here's the link to register/get information: http://ccld.ca.gov/PG534.htm
  5. Be up to date for your Infant/Pediatric CPR/First Aid and Health & Safety courses. These are required to submit your application, although you may choose to register for them and submit proof of registration with your application just to get things going.

  6. Submit your application as soon as possible! This is what will really get the ball rolling. Your community care licensing office will know you exist and get you what you need to do the next steps, such as getting fingerprinted/background check. If you need help filling this out, you might try the next step.

  7. Find some support. This step might actually work as a first step, too. I recommend contacting any agencies in your area working with early education programs. Resource & Referral (R&R) agencies tend to have various programs to support providers becoming licensed. Often times, local First 5 offices may be able to connect you to resources in your area, as would some county offices of education. You can find your local R&R office by visiting their site: http://www.rrnetwork.org/
  8. Become familiar with licensing regulations and make sure that you're able to comply with them: http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/getinfo/pdf/fcc.PDF
  9. Prepare your space. This is where that support will really come in handy if it's available. It helps to have someone to bounce ideas off of to plan a thoughtful layout and to help ensure that your space is safe for children and meeting regulations.

  10. Along with this, you can also look for resources. There are many great books for family child care home providers to give ideas on how to arrange the room for children in a home setting. You can buy these less expensively online (especially when used), or perhaps borrow them for free at your local library. Here are some of my favorites:
    • Family Child Care Environmental Rating Scale (By Thelma Harms, Debby Cryer, and Richard M. Clifford) - This may not be an easy read, but it is a great growth and quality improvement tool you can use to set (manageable) goals for your space
      FCCERS-R Book Cover
    • Family Child Care Homes: Creative Spaces for Children to Learn (by Linda J. Armstrong) - great ideas that can work in various types of homes. Offers some inspiration.
      http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9781605540757_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
    • Designs for Living and Learning: Transforming Early Childhood Environments (by Deb Curtis and Margie Carter) - this book may not be specific to family child care home environments, but offers some ideas that could work in both homes and centers.
      http://www3.alibris-static.com/isbn/9781929610297.gif
  11. Besides books, you can also check out blogs online. This has been my greatest source of inspiration for both environment and curriculum (which often, I've found, go hand in hand). I have an inclination towards earthy, natural learning environments, which is why I've looked into the Waldorf philosophy, and I believe in encouraging exploration and projects, so I look for blogs related to the Reggio Emilia philosophies. The following are some of my favorite sites. They don't have to be geared towards family child care home providers - many of them are parenting blogs, but the same principals apply.

  12. After you submit your application for licensing, as well as other required documentation, you'll get your visit from licensing. It helps to have a mock visit, if there is a support agency in your area that would offer one.
  13. Once you are licensed, you're still not done! Make sure you are well aware of  ratios you are allowed to have depending on whether you have been licensed for a small or large family child care home. Licensing will give you forms and resources to include in your enrollment packet for parents, which leads me to the next step (if you haven't already done this by now):
  14. Put together your parent applications, policies, and enrollment packets. This is by far the most tedious piece of the process that I went through (at least for me!). What really helped is that my local R&R agency provided templates that I could use and customize for my program (How cool is that?).  Here's the resource they let me borrow:

  15. Finally, advertise! There are many ways to do this. It helps to be listed with your local R&R agency. They may have ideas and suggestions on how to price and market your services. I advertised through Craigslist, as well as various mommy groups (that allowed marketing) on Facebook. You can also try to flyer your community or in neighborhoods by nearby elementary schools. Word of mouth is one of the best!
  16. Take baby steps. This is my biggest piece of advice (and one that I often remind myself of). This process of becoming licensed has been a fast one, but also a big learning experience for me. I'm looking at early education from a totally different angle, and having my two young daughters in the programs adds new challenges, and joys, to the mix. The biggest thing is that it must be something you're excited to take on, and do what you can to keep that excitement! Don't overwhelm yourself with trying to tackle everything at once - that's what I tend to do. I've committed myself to just learning one new thing a week. After all, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Start a pace that you can maintain and not get burnt out at the start. Know what you're able to handle, and stick to that. Be sure to include things in every day that bring you joy. If you're the journaling type, keep a journal to mark your accomplishments and milestones. Every little step counts, so celebrate them!
I am certainly no expert (I have been licensed for a whole half a month now [at the time of writing this]), so I'm sure there are additional steps that might be added here, or perhaps you may find that following this in a different order works best for you. Hopefully, however, you will find this somewhat helpful in your endeavors. I wish you the very best of luck, and hope you find much support around you to make it a reality. Please let me know how it goes, and if I could be of any assistance or encouragement to you in the process!
Blessings,

Adriana Gomez
Garland of Grace Early Learning Program

No comments:

Post a Comment